Complete the service items in the 3000
mile service check plus:
1. Remove the SU carburettor suction chamber and piston;
clean, reassemble and top-up the piston dampers with Castrol
2. Remove the oil filter, wash the bowl in petrol, and fit a
new element and rubber seal. Refill the sump and filter with
3. Check the condition of the heater and cooling system
hoses and replace as necessary.*
4. Lubricate with engine oil the pivot point of the brake
and clutch pedal shafts.*
5. Check the fuel lines and the union joints for leaks and
replace defective parts as necessary.*
6. Remove and clean the filters in the carburettor/s and
fuel pump where these are fitted.
7. Check and adjust the valve rocker clearances.
8. Remove the distributor cap, pull off the rotor arm and
apply three drops of engine oil to the head of the large
screw in the centre of the distributor.
9. Allow three drops of oil past the cam to the automatic
10. Lubricate the four-sided cam by smearing a faint trace
of grease over it.
11. Apply a tiny spot of oil to the moving contact breaker
pivot pin. Any excess might get on the points and cause
12. Check the condition of the contact breaker points. Clean
and regap them, and if necessary fit a new set and check the
timing and advance and retard mechanism.
13. Adjust the carburettor slow running and tune if
14. Examine the exhaust system for holes and leaks and
replace defective components as necessary.*
15. Wax polish the body and also the chromium plating. Force
wax polish into any joints in the bodywork to help prevent
16. Balance the front wheels to eliminate steering vibration
17. Check and adjust the steering 'toe-in' of the front
18. Check the suspension nuts, and the steering nuts for
19. If wished, change over the tyres to equalise wear (not
re-commended for fabric belted radials) and inspect the
walls for damage.*
20. Lubricate the washer round the wheelbase spindle with
several drops of glycerine.
The additional tasks are indicated by an asterisk (*) and
are primarily of a preventative nature, in that they will
assist in eliminating the unexpected failure of a component
due to fair wear and tear.