Complete the service items in the 6000
mile service check plus:
1. Remove the carburettor float chamber, empty any sediment
present, check the condition of the needle valve, clean and
2. Separate the speedometer cable at the union behind the
engine. Withdraw the lower inner cable. Disconnect the upper
section at the speedometer head and withdraw the upper inner
cable. Lightly lubricate the inner cables with Castrol LM
grease or similar. Wipe excess grease from the top 6 inches
of the top cable so that none gets into the speedometer
head, then refit the inner cables and reconnect the two
3. Steam clean the underside of the body and clean the
engine and engine compartment.*
4. Remove the spark plugs, and fit new ones, correctly
5. Inspect the ignition leads for cranks and perishing or
damage and replace as necessary.*
6. Remove the brake drums, blow out the dust, and inspect
the linings for wear.*
7. Examine the dynamo brushes, replace them if worn, and
clean the commutator.
8. Renew the windscreen wiper blades.*
9. Check the headlamp bulbs and renew them if slightly
blackened or if the element sags.
10. On later models fitted with a crankcase closed circuit
breather system, change the engine oil filler cap and clean
the crankcase breather valve. All the metal parts can be
washed in petrol. The diaphragm should be cleaned with
detergent or methylated spirits.
11. Grease the one nipple on the gear change linkage with
Castrol LM Grease or similar. The nipple is very
inaccessible being between the bulkhead and engine and
really requires a flexible hose. On no account give more
than two strokes with the grease gun.
12. Lubricate the water pump. To do this unscrew the plug
just behind the pulley wheel and grease sparingly with
Castrol LM Grease. Replace the plug. If the pump squeaks a
few tea-spoonfuls of hydraulic fluid in the cooling system
will silence the carbon sealing ring.
13. Take out the air cleaner element by unscrewing the wing
nut/s on top of the cleaner, and removing the cover and
cleaner element. Clean out the inside of the air cleaner and
fit a new cleaner element. Replace the cover and wing nut(s).
The additional tasks are indicated by an asterisk (*) and
are primarily of a preventative nature, in that they will
assist in eliminating the unexpected failure of a component
due to fair wear and tear.